Minecraft has several editions, some of which are discontinued.
Minecraft: Java Edition (formerly just Minecraft) is the original version of Minecraft, developed by Mojang Studios for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Notch began development on May 10, 2009, publicly releasing Minecraft on May 17, 2009. The full release of the game (version 1.0.0) was on November 18, 2011, at MINECON 2011. The latest version is 1.20.2.
Minecraft: Bedrock Edition (only Minecraft on most platforms and in-game) refers to the multi-platform versions of Minecraft developed by Mojang Studios, Xbox Game Studios, and SkyBox Labs and based on the Bedrock codebase. The latest version is 1.20.32.
Legacy Console Edition
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition(Final version: TU75)
- Minecraft: Xbox One Edition(Final version: CU58)
- Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition(Final version: 1.84)
- Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition(Final version: 1.95)
- Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition(Final version: 1.84)
- Minecraft: Wii U Edition(Final version: Patch 43)
- Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition(Final version: 1.0.17)
Legacy Console Edition introduced new features such as a simplified crafting system, in-game tutorials, leaderboards, built-in mini games and split-screen multiplayer,[except PS Vita] as well as online multiplayer for up to 4[PS Vita only]/8[Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, & Switch only]/16[Xbox One & PS4 only] players, which required the console's paid subscription service.[except Wii U] As with all editions, updates were free of charge.
MinecraftEdu is a sandboxindieeducational video game written in Java, developed by TeacherGaming, published by E-Line Media, and licensed by Mojang Studios. It was meant as an educational version of Minecraft. The final version was 1.8.9 Build 3.
Minecraft: Pi Edition is a edition of Minecraft developed for the Raspberry Pi. It is based on Pocket EditionAlpha v0.6.1 but slightly cut down, containing a revised feature set and support for multiple programming languages. Pi Edition is intended as an educational tool for novice programmers. The final version was v0.1.1 alpha.
Minecraft Education (formerly Minecraft: Education Edition) is an educational edition of Minecraft specifically designed for classroom use. It is developed by Mojang Studios and Xbox Game Studios and has features that make Minecraft easy to use in a classroom setting. The latest version is 1.20.12.
Minecraft: China Edition is a localized edition of Java and Bedrock editions for China, developed by Mojang Studios and NetEase. The latest version is 18.104.22.168444 for Windows, 22.214.171.124524 for Android, and 2.8.5 for iOS, iPadOS, and macOS.
New Nintendo 3DS Edition
Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the edition of Minecraft developed by Other Ocean Interactive and Mojang Studios for the New Nintendo 3DS/2DS systems, but is not compatible with the original Nintendo 3DS/2DS systems. The final version was 1.9.19.
|Java Edition||Bedrock Edition|
[note 1][note 2]
|Legacy Console Edition|
|Merged with LCE|
|Edition||Released on||Discontinued on||Version|
|Java Edition||May 17, 2009||—||1.20.2|
|Bedrock Edition||📱Pocket Edition||August 16, 2011||1.20.32|
|Windows 10 Edition||July 29, 2015||1.20.32|
|Gear VR Edition||April 27, 2016||September 3, 2020||1.16.40|
|Apple TV Edition||December 19, 2016||August 7, 2017||1.1.5|
|Fire TV Edition||December 19, 2016||April 22, 2021||1.16.221|
|September 20, 2017||—||1.20.32|
|Nintendo Switch||June 21, 2018||1.20.32|
|PlayStation 4||December 10, 2019||1.20.32|
|September 22, 2020|
|June 7, 2023||1.20.32|
|Minecraft Education||November 1, 2016||1.20.12|
|China Edition||August 8, 2017||See China Edition|
|Legacy Console Edition||Xbox 360 Edition||May 9, 2012||April 30, 2019||TU75|
|Xbox One Edition||September 5, 2014||December 3, 2019||CU58|
|PlayStation 3 Edition||December 17, 2013||April 15, 2020||1.84|
|PlayStation 4 Edition||September 4, 2014||September 9, 2019||1.95|
|PlayStation Vita Edition||October 14, 2014||April 15, 2020||1.84|
|Wii U Edition||December 17, 2015||March 19, 2019||Patch 43|
|Nintendo Switch Edition||May 11, 2017||June 21, 2018||1.0.17|
|Other editions||🌐Minecraft 4k||December 2, 2009||December 4, 2009||N/A|
|MinecraftEdu||November 5, 2011||April 5, 2016||1.8.9 Build 3|
|(ARM only)Pi Edition||February 11, 2013||v0.1.1 alpha|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition||September 13, 2017||January 15, 2019||1.9.19|
|🌐Minecraft Classic||May 7, 2019||—||N/A|
- The official Bedrock Edition for PCs, mobile devices, consoles, TVs, and VR devices.
- Before the release of the Better Together Update, the Bedrock Edition was split into many different platform editions.
- The official Legacy Console Edition for consoles.
- The Xbox One and Nintendo Switch editions, unlike the other editions listed, could not be updated directly into Bedrock Edition. Bedrock Edition had to be bought separately from the Legacy Console Edition versions, excluding the PlayStation 4 Edition. However, those who purchased said Legacy Console Editions received a free digital copy of the Bedrock Edition upon it coming to the console, and things like worlds and skin packs could be transferred to the Bedrock Edition.
- "Minecraft 4k (very early build)"(archived) by Markus_Persson – Java-Gaming.org, December 3, 2009.